Friday, July 1, 2016

La Pura Vida

I have come to appreciate life so much more through my experiences here, but not in the ‘wow, life in the developing world is tough, now I will appreciate my drinkable water at home’ way. I do not see this city as a place that needs to be ‘fixed’ or transformed into an American style of development. So many Americans have this notion that people outside of the first world cannot be happy. How can a poor farmer living in the altiplano be satisfied with his life? Wouldn’t he be happier if he had the opportunity to pursue the American dream and move to the states? I am also guilty of such thoughts from time to time. I feel that I grew up in a culture that equates materialism and wealth with happiness, and that is simply not true.
I was on my way to hike Huayna Potosí, a stunning, snowcapped mountain on the outskirts of La Paz, at daybreak several weeks ago. We were driving on a dirt road as the first glow of dawn illuminated the mountain range. I saw a somewhat dilapidated shack sitting all by its lonesome in a valley at the foot of Huayna Potosí. Ashamedly, my first reaction was, “These poor people. They live in that little house in the middle of nowhere, almost 45 minutes from the city.” How foolish am I. How foolish am I to judge someone’s way of life and to think that luxury cars or expensive jewelry can bring someone true joy. The inhabitants of that humble abode can provide for themselves with their garden and livestock. Aside from having the essentials, they wake up each and every morning to a glorious and truly magnificent view, and they go to sleep each night at the foot of a truly awesome work of art in the natural word. They live in a place that people like me travel from all over the world to experience and enjoy: a place of wonder, beauty, and adventure. I was so full of awe at this view that I was speechless, and someone has the privilege of experiencing that each and every day.

            When I return to Mississippi, I will appreciate the beauty of the simple things in life. I have experienced the importance of family here, and I will appreciate times with my family more. I really appreciate the power of a smile and “buenas días” each morning and I hope to live my everyday life with a few more random acts of kindness. I aim to live a life less centered around material things and with more goals of adventure and experience. I have been spoiled with non-chemically tainted preserved fruit and with homemade bread that my mother buys fresh each day. I will appreciate the real, rich food at home and make an effort to visit the farmer’s market more often. In short, I will appreciate la pura vida.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice post here that reflects on the common experience of ethnocentrism. But think critically - when is change good? How can this happen in a respectful manner?

    ReplyDelete