Monday, July 4, 2016

Globalization: Hot Dogs and Pan Flutes

What is an American to do in Bolivia on the 4th of July? Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays, and this is the first time I have ever been out of the country for the celebration. I have missed several of my favorite summertime traditions in the states such as the annual BB King Blues Festival in Indianola and the Blue Biscuit festival. I missed my usual dose of genuine Delta blues, and the 4th of July was making me miss American traditions even more: hot dogs, fireworks, music, and cold beer.
Luckily for me, we live in a globalized society that not only blurs the lines between cultures, but also literally brings other cultures across the worlds. I was walking towards Sopacachi with some friends last week, and we saw some commotion at the Cine on Avenida 6 de Agosto. The Cine was hosting the La Paz Festiblues Festival: an annual 4-day blues festival in La Paz. I was reading the lineup and I could not believe my eyes – a real, born and bred Mississippi Delta Blues musician was headlining Festiblues. My worlds were colliding: this incredibly diverse, buzzing city in South America and my Delta roots were coming together for the 4th of July weekend. There is a God, and he loves me so.
I told my host family about the blues musician, how much I missed the blues, and how excited I was to hear some familiar sounds. My host mother replied, “Oh! Qué bueno. Me encantan los blues.” Apparently the blues are pretty popular here in La Paz, and she was also a fan. The following night a group of us went to Festiblues to hear Jimmy “Duck” Holmes. Now, La Paz could learn a thing or two from Mississippi about blues festivals, but the concert did the trick. Typical blues concert venues, or at least the ones I have attended, have been an abandoned lot next to the Indianola cemetery, outside of the BB King Museum, plantations-turned-event-venues, and shabby-chic blues bars throughout the Delta. To be honest, Mr. Jimmy looked a little out of place in the teatro and facing the people seated neatly in rows. To make the experience even more interesting, he collaborated with local Bolivian blues musicians for a portion of the concert. I never considered pairing a flute or pan flute with blues, but the combination was beautiful. I teared up during the performance – these two worlds collided so gracefully. Here I am in South America, experiencing so many incredible cultures, and my culture came to join. I get to eat my cake and have it, too.
The Bentonian blues was the start a good 4th of July weekend. I raved to my family about the concert and all of my favorite Independence Day traditions such as the hot dogs, fireworks, watermelon, and quality time with friends and family. “El día de independencía es similar a nuestros feriados.” No, no the 4th of July is spectacular and full of patriotism; it is not like your holidays. However, I began to think. They celebrated San Juan a few weeks back, the coldest night of the year (I did not understand celebrating the coldest night of the year, but Bolivians like to celebrate lots of things). They shot off fireworks until well after midnight, ate hotdogs, celebrated with family, and drank singani, the national liquor. They have parades for various holidays, shoot fireworks, eat, drink, and be merry – just like Americans. That does not make our holidays or their holidays any less special. Similarly, the blues here is not any less culturally important or special here than it is in the Delta, and the blues is in the Delta is not less unique just because the style has crossed cultures. The cultures can blend, learn from each other, give it their own twist, and remain just as special. I think a world full of hotdogs and blues scales on the pan flute is a pretty good world to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment