Friday, July 15, 2016

El Campo Part 1

Two days ago, around seven AM, we left to visit El Campo in the Alti Plano of Bolivia. Loaded into two trucks, we made our way to what was absolutely the middle of nowhere. Three to four hours from grocery stores and running water, we finally arrived. Once there, I turned to my friend who I immediately asked, did I miss something? Did these individuals mistakenly think we were famous? I didn’t understand. House after house we visited everyone was so excited to see us. People from all over the municipalities were coming to meet us, wanting to shake our hand, give us a hug, a kiss on the cheek, and take pictures. Oh, and food. With ever visit came a meal. 
I realize it’s a part of their culture, but it was so hard for me to eat meal after meal of llama and potatoes when I was so full I was about to bust at the seams. We were encountering some of the poorest of the poor. Yet, at every stop, they fed us an enormous portion of food. At the time, like I said, it was extremely hard for me. Not only because I was so full I could vomit, but because I was truly aware of the impoverished conditions of these individuals and knew every bit of food was important for them and their family. However, I couldn’t just say no thank you, although it looks “muy rico,” I’m very full.
Visiting these municipalities and eating a meal cooked by these individuals meant much more than I could ever imagine. One of the leaders of the communities response to us visiting was “wow, the government has never even been out here to see us.” And there we were. They were so grateful. Now, over forty-eight hours later, I am still so troubled by his comment. I’m very happy that they were so grateful by our presence, but why hadn’t the government come see them? I didn’t understand. Throughout these municipalities images of Evo’s presidential campaign were more than present, yet physically he was not. It’s clear; through our presence they received hope. Through their extreme acts of kindness and generosity, they hoped that when we were back in the comforts of our home, we would remember them and want to help them in any way possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment