Monday, July 18, 2016

Funny how life works sometimes

Okay, so I’ve been teaching this hip hop class the past two weeks because my mom is the artistic director of a dance studio here.  Initially, I thought “Why not? I’ll get to practice my Spanish with young people and get out of the house a bit.”  It has been so much more than that. I kind of conducted my own little observation on them.  It’s interesting because by the end I got a good grasp of who these people were. They are so different, but are a family.  In the group there is a mother, a doctor, a 16 year old prodigy, two street dancers, a student, and a conflicted 20 something year old.


It’s truly interesting plopping yourself in the middle of other people’s lives, not really knowing their language, and getting to know them.  And I’ve been trying this whole time to see how they act toward me, what their impressions are, how they see me.  On Thursday during the final class, I realized that they genuinely like me.  Which sounds dumb, but it’s incredible to me.  People from different countries coming together and bonding over dance.  I felt like a young paceña for once instead of an outsider.  Hanging out with them has given me major insight into the Bolivian teenage/young people culture.  I got to observe how girls and boys act around each other, how they treat each other. It’s honestly not much different than US young people culture.  Except “flirting” as we would consider it there, isn’t actually flirting here per se. Sometimes you have to have a little fun and put off your schoolwork to truly learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment