Saturday, July 23, 2016

Bolivian Beauty Ideals

When my little cousin held up my wrist and told me I needed to engordar (gain weight), I didn't think much of it.  People say that in the states too. It was just strange coming from a 10 year old.  But when I learned that cholitas wear layers of skirts in order to appear thicker in the hips, I realized that being larger here is good. Being hefty in Bolivia is a sign of power and prominence.  Which is so the opposite from many other western ideals of beauty. When I went to France last year, I constantly listened to my host sisters and mothers talk about losing weight, wishing they were smaller, and not wanting to eat as much.  As a big proponent of positive body image, I couldn't stand it.  But in Bolivia, it's necesitas engordar when you are at healthy, normal weight.  It's still not entirely "positive" body image, but it's better than what American and other women are used to. 

Why is it so different here?  How can we explain traditional definitions of beauty that still influence modern society? And how do women see themselves? I wonder how prevalent eating disorders are here, too.  I've hung out with Bolivian female dancers, some of the most body conscious people, and it seems to me that there is not huge concern with being "skinny." It may have just been the people I was with, but generally speaking they did not discuss dieting, not eating, or exercising. I'm sure there's individuals here like that, but for the most part I really haven't experienced that kind of attitude. Whereas at my old sorority house in the US, this was constant lunchtime chatter. And if you didn't contribute to shaming yourself, it was considered strange or even rude.  All I know is that I like this better and that it's been a nice break here being around people who don't give a damn about their weight.  Thanks women of Bolivia, keep doing what you want. 

1 comment:

  1. I find the cultural differences in beauty standards fascinating. Not sure if you've seen the project where someone asked people around the world to photoshop her into the "ideal" figure, and the results were fascinatingly diverse.

    ReplyDelete